My name is Lisa and I am a senior at University of California, Berkeley majoring in Molecular Environmental Biology. This summer I will be interning with Dr. Yun Wang at Northwestern University studying bacterial-fungal interactions between Psuedomonas aeruginosa and Aspergillus fumigatus. A.
Team Echinacea is settled in for a long summer of research in the outdoors in Kensington, MN. Besides the two REU interns from the Chicago Botanic Garden (myself included), there are six other students involved with the project this summer, which has been going on since 1995.
First Week at the Chicago Botanic Garden
Now that the program's been over for about a week it seems like a good time to look back on what I've learned. I can't believe how fast the entire experience went, I've never felt 10 weeks fly by quite so quickly!
Hello to everyone out there! (Or should I say goodbye)
I cannot believe the summer is already over! Feels like my first field day was just yesterday! I had such a great summer working in the prairies of Illinois with our native bees. I learned to really appreciate and understand these little creatures which we all depend on greatly.
Working with bacteria and fungi requires patience specially when inoculating many petri dishes. However, after waiting for the culture to grow we have observed different factors that were affected by the treatments in different strains. For example, spore production, metabolites and morphology; such major components differentiated as time progressed for each combination that we tested for.
Last Thursday Andrew and I presented our summer research at the University of Minnesota poster session in Minneapolis. This week we're heading to Chicago to do the same with the rest of you at CBG. Although Andrew has wrapped up his research and will depart after the poster session, I still have two additional weeks in Kensington to finish my research and help with end-of-season fieldwork.
By now, I've gotten to dive deep into my project. I am looking at how the microbial community present in the soil at our research site in Illinois responds to different carbon amendments to the soil.
About a month ago I colledted the soils from our research site. Lately, I've been fast at work in the molecular lab analyzing them.
Last time I wrote I was extracting DNA from the Oenothera harringtonii species samples that Matt had collected from central Colorado. So, we have continued on with the research process and are now in the process of amplifying particular loci of the DNA using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method and then analyzing the amplified DNA using the Beckman-Coulter CEQ 8000.